Last updated on June 2019
Identifying the Purposes and Use of Personal Information
Before collecting any Personal Information, we will identify why the Personal Information is required and how it will be used. This Personal Information is documented and kept on file at our offices, and we will obtain your consent before using or disclosing Personal Information for purposes other than the original reasons given.
CottageStays collects and uses a Customer's Personal Information for the following general purposes:
- Enabling a Customer to access and use the CottageStays.ca website and mobile site;
- Collecting, recording and using Personal Information relevant to the performance of the services rendered to and for a Customer;
- Recording and determining the services received by a Customer during his or her relationship with us;
- Offering a Customer additional products and services which may be of interest to them;
- Communicating with a Customer generally or to ensure Customer satisfaction;
- Improving the goods and services offered to Customers in the future;
- Complying with all applicable laws; and
- Such other specific purposes which are communicated to a Customer by us and our representatives before collection of the Personal Information.
We will collect Customer consent separately with respect to the sending any “commercial electronic messages”, as defined in Canada’s anti-spam legislation, found at S.C. 2010, c.23, as amended (“CASL”).
In the unlikely event that CottageStays, or substantially all of its assets, are acquired by a third party, a Customer's Personal Information may be one of the assets transferred to such third party.
A Customer's consent will be obtained at the time of collection of the Personal Information, or when a new use for the Personal Information is identified. You may withdraw your consent at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions and on the provision of reasonable notice to The Company.
Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
Personal Information is not used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was originally collected, except with the consent of the Customer, or as permitted by law. Personal Information is only retained as long as may be necessary for the fulfillment of these purposes, or to meet government requirements, whichever is longer, following which it is destroyed, erased, or rendered anonymous.
CottageStays strives to ensure that a Customer's Personal Information is as accurate, complete and up to date as necessary for the purposes for which it is used. Information is updated only when necessary to fulfill specified purposes.
Upon written request of a Customer, CottageStays will provide them with access to his or her Personal Information. We will correct or amend any inaccuracies in the Customer's Personal Information, and such amended information will be forwarded to any third parties who require access to the information. CottageStays has the right to refuse a request for access to Personal Information:
- If the information is protected by legal privilege;
- If granting access would reveal confidential commercial or financial information;
- If doing so would reasonably be expected to threaten the life or security of another individual;
- If the information was collected for purposes related to the detection and prevention of fraud;
- If the information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process;
- If the information would likely reveal Personal Information about another Customer;
- If the request is vexatious or frivolous; and/or
- To protect The Company's rights and property
If the request of a Customer for their Personal Information is denied, the individual will be informed in writing of the reasons for the denial, as well as any recourse available. Access to a your Personal Information will be at no cost to you. Minimal charges may apply, however, for the transcription, reproduction or transmission of documents containing Personal Information.